TIPS TO AVOID PHISHING ATTACKS
We love our Fishing in Wisconsin, but there is another kind of fishing, called Phishing. No it’s not a Yooper thing, and No the Illinoisans didn’t event it so they can get all our real fish.
Phishing is a way for cyber criminals to send malicious links or attachment to download to retrieve confidential data, or to just plain infect machines with malware.
6 Tips to Avoid Phishing Attacks
- Asking for Personal Information is a Red Flag – Treat E-mails requesting personal or financial information with suspicion
- Check the Sender’s E-mail Address
- Watch for Links and Attachments – Hover your mouse over the text of the hyperlink to verify the link is to a legitimate website and ALWAYS be cautious when downloading attachments
- Typos Are a Red Flag – Phishing E-mails usually contain spelling errors, poor grammar, ugly text layout, etc.
- When In Doubt, Contact the Supposed Sender
- Install Security Software and Be Smart About Passwords
For a deeper read; the 6 Tips To Avoid Phishing Attacks from Forbes to learn how to protect yourself.